This whole blog is about giving ourselves and people around us High fives–sometimes because they deserve it like crazy, and sometimes because inside they deserve it, and really need it. And we’re all both at different times, right??
This tab will be about specific ways we can give ourselves the boost and help we need. We call it the Hy 5 also, for Hygiene 5, because it’s meant to be something we can do to take care of ourselves, giving as much attention to our emotions as we do to our, say, teeth! If it sounds like more ideas and to-dos, please, think of it as breathing deep: a little focus, not too hard, and life changing. What do you do that really helps you take good long-term care of your emotions?
I’ve had a hard day! Hard week! Okay…sometimes several hard weeks. In fact, I’ve experienced depression before for which I wondered if I needed medication. And if a person just can’t beat it, seek help!
But these things below are my “Emotion Hacks”
In kindergarten we learn about washing our hands, eating 5 fruits & vegetables a day…we learn healthy ways to feed our bodies, yet what about feeding our minds healthfully? Why not daily MENTAL hygiene? I need these things each day.
I discovered that what I needed was some daily LITTLE things I could do for that daily health first thing in morning, in the bogged down afternoon, in the chaos of early evening, in emergency, all to bring about emotional resilience! I came up with this so far. Please let me know what you do! I’m curious if they fit in some of these categories, or if you have different ones.
- Physical. Change my physical state! Breathe deep, run, jump, massage, something!
- Thankful Heart. Gratitude. I want to be aware of good things around me that support me. I make myself think of 5 things that bless me.*
- Reach up, meditate, pray, vertical, mindfulness, commune, be in nature.** Connect to the Creator of the Universe, a Higher Power, Mediator, my Heavenly Parents
- Connect: Serve, play! Serving can be secret or small: a smile, eye contact, a secret delivery, text, invite. Play! Toss a frisbee.
- Be part of creation. Be in nature*. Walk. Plant a flower. Do something creative. Be a part of the creative flow -dance, music, instrument. 🙂
SIMPLE., Regularly. High 5 a day 🙂 Let me know if this helped you, and share your ideas of how you give yourself high 5’s.
If you read this on facebook, look us up on ofoneheartblog.WordPress.com and see what you can add, what else we might have for you . 🙂
I think I’ll be adding to each of these later, as I find ideas that work for me in each category 🙂